WE'VE MOVED!! You can now find us at Sunshine and Spoons!

Monday, October 8, 2012

Star's Birth Story

I was scheduled to be induced on Thursday, September 27th, at 11 days overdue.  I called the birth center Thursday morning and they asked me to call back at 10 am to see if things had settled down there enough for me to come in.  At 10 am, they were still really busy so my induction was rescheduled for Friday.  It actually turned out to be a good thing though because I had a very relaxed day with the kids and was able to finish a few sewing projects.  The next morning, I called the birth center again and they told me to go ahead and come in to be induced.

We got there at 8 am and the doctor came in to check me before he put the Cytotec in.  I was still at 1-2 cm which is what I had been on Monday when I was checked.  I was kind of discouraged about that, but I wasn't leaving that hospital without a baby!  A few hours after the Cytotec was put in, I started having some mild cramping and a few contractions, but nothing worse than what I had been having for the last few weeks.  The doctor came back after 4 hours to see if I'd made any progress and put in another dose of Cytotec if necessary.  I was barely at 3 cm so we settled in for another 4 hours of waiting for the Cytotec to kick in.  Within a few hours, the contractions were getting worse, but still not anything too bad.  They were pretty irregular and didn't seem to be getting me anywhere.  Sure enough, when the doctor checked me again 4 hours later, I was only 4 cm.  We'd been at the birth center for over 8 hours by this point and had been really hoping things would move a little bit faster than they were.  The doctor decided to break my water to see if things would speed up.  Before he broke it, he asked me if I was sure I wanted to do that as there would be no turning back after that.  Ummmm, I was almost 2 weeks overdue and had been at the birth center all day with cramping and contractions.  YES, I was ready!

About an hour after my water was broken, the contractions started to get pretty painful and the baby's heartbeat started to dip.  I was started on a saline drip which got the baby's heartbeat right back up where it needed to be.  I was checked again at around 8 pm and was still at 4 cm, but the contractions were becoming pretty unbearable and since I knew we still had a long way to go, I asked for an epidural.  Around 9 pm, the doctor decided to start some Pitocin to see if that would work since nothing else was really getting things done.  Thanks to the epidural, the Pitocin didn't make much of a difference in my pain level, but it finally did the trick!  In less than 3 hours, I went from 4 cm to 10 and was finally ready to push.

The nurse called for the doctor and had me start pushing while we waited for him to get there, assuming I would be pushing for a while.  During the second push, she suddenly told me I had to stop pushing and wait for the doctor.  He ran in, threw his gloves and gown on (which seemed to take forever since all I wanted to do at that point was push) and caught the baby on the next push.

At this point, Hubby and I got what was probably the biggest surprise of our lives when the doctor announced that we had a baby girl as the ultrasound back in April had clearly showed a boy or so we thought!

Just born!

The nurse laid the baby on my chest where she promptly peed on me.  I couldn't stop crying and absolutely couldn't believe that I had another little girl!  I had been kind of hoping for a girl before the ultrasound, but had gotten used to the idea of a boy so having to change my mindset so suddenly was a huge shock.

While the baby was being cleaned up, I called the grandparents.  I called my mom first and the first thing I said was "She's here!" to which my mom replied, "She?!?!  No, it's a boy!" It took a minute to convince her that I wasn't pulling her leg.  I asked her not to call my sister (who, being pregnant, had asked me to wait to call her until at least 7 am) because I wanted to be the one to talk to her myself in the morning.  Next, I called Hubby's mom who was also completely surprised, but thrilled nonetheless!

About an hour after the baby was born, a nurse came in to give me the pneumoccocal vaccine which my doctor wanted me to get because of my severe asthma.  She gave it to me in my leg several hours before the epidural wore off.  By Saturday evening, the injection site was red, slightly swollen, and sore, but I wrote it off to not moving my leg around enough after the shot.

5 days old

The next morning, I was discharged and we packed everything up to go home.  We were waiting for the pediatrician to come in and discharge the baby when all of a sudden, I was freezing, aching all over, and extremely tired.  I climbed back into bed and tried to get warm, but was shivering so badly that the whole bed was shaking.  The nurse called the doctor back in and he decided to start me on several antibiotics through an iv since my symptoms and high fever had come on so quickly.  The nurse piled 6 extra blankets, including 2 warmed blankets on me, but I still couldn't get warm.  By this time, my whole thigh where I had gotten the shot the day before was extremely painful, swollen, and bright red.  After a day of sleeping and antibiotics, I felt a little better and my fever came down considerably.  My leg was still so painful that I couldn't bear anything or anyone to touch it and I could barely walk.

8 days old

Monday morning, I spiked another fever and all my symptoms came back, although not as severely as the day before.  The doctor decided to keep me one more night.  During the night, the pain in my leg improved considerably to the point where I could move it around.

Two days after we were supposed to be discharged, we finally got to leave although I had another 7 days of oral antibiotics to take.  The doctor came to the conclusion that somehow the injection had caused cellulitis in my leg.  He said it was a good thing that it had happened while I was still in the hospital and not after I got home!

8 days old

So basically, the labor and delivery weren't that bad and I felt great afterwords, but one little shot is what did me in!  It's been over a week since my symptoms started in my leg and although it's still a little swollen and sore if one of the kids kick me in the leg (which happens way more than I realized!), I'm feeling almost 100% again.

I think I've finally decided on a name to call Baby Girl on the blog!  I'll introduce her in the next post.   :)   


Thanks so much for visiting Supermommy!...Or Not.  Please take a moment to "like" me on facebook"!\

10 comments:

  1. Wow!! She is so beautiful. Soo sorry you had to go through all of the pain of being sick after just giving birth and being shocked!

    It is wonderful to see she is so sweet and what a funny story to tell your family. I am sure you will have many other great things to share.

    Glad you are feeling better!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost 100% after a week is AWESOME!!! I hope I bounce back so quickly! What a beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually the recovery time is easier after you've already had a baby. Just remember to take it easy when you can :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you are feeling better, how scary! Also...a girl? Shocking! I'm pregnant with our 2nd boy now & I this is the 3rd story I have heard about a boy ultrasound turning out the be a baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things you think just happens to other people. What's really funny is that my sister was told (after 2 ultrasounds) that her second child was a girl and it turned out to be a boy! Apparently our kids aren't very cooperative :)

      Delete
  4. That's so ironic that you had such an uneventful labour and delivery, but then had all those horrible side effects from the vaccine! I'm super impressed (and jealous!) that you only had to push a couple of times. I was pushing for 3 hours with my daughter (although, I guess that's to be expected with a first baby).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pushed for almost 3 hours with my first baby too. My second took about half an hour. It gets easier each time!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your story. Glad the epidural and Pitocin did the trick. And how crazy that you had a girl when you thought it was a boy! How hard was it to come up with a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we didn't even look at girls' names while I was pregnant, it was kind of tricky! I had my mom's laptop in the hospital with me so I spent a day on the internet looking through baby girl names. I hated not having the baby named so we picked one within 24 hours, but it's not the one we would've picked if we'd had more time for naming. I love her name, but I really wish we'd had more time to think about it.

      Delete
    2. 24 hours is pretty impressive! I couldn't imagine having to come up with one that quickly. It took us forever to decide on both of our kids' names, we both liked different ones and it was hard finding the one we agreed on.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I read and appreciate every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...