WE'VE MOVED!! You can now find us at Sunshine and Spoons!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sleep Issues? Not An Issue.

I am constantly reminded of what a unique child I have when it comes to sleep. Sometimes if I forget and take Princess's exceptional sleeping habits for granted, a sleep-deprived and sometimes bitter mother will take it upon herself to remind me that I could be "blessed" with a child like hers who hasn't slept for more than 56 minutes at a time since birth and refuses to take that sleep in the crib so lovingly (and optimisticly) bought and assembled for him or her before birth.

Tonight, I sat on the couch reading a book while Princess played nearby, not with one of the dozens of entertaining, educational toys she has acquired in her 17 months of life, but with the drab, unexciting drink coasters that she had once again stolen from off the coffee table. It was 7:30 and bedtime was looming on the horizon. Suddenly, she threw the coasters to the floor with an exasperated yell and marched her tiny heinie out of the room. I didn't think much of it as toddlers are often known to engage in bizarre behaviors with absolutely no explanation involved. However, a minute later she came back with the pacifier from her crib in her mouth. Now, she is not allowed to have a pacifier unless she is going to sleep, and she has followed this rule splendidly ever since I caught her snitching her crib pacifier and promptly put her back into her crib for a second nap that afternoon. She didn't sleep, but she definitely got the message, and she hasn't attempted another pacifier robbery since then. Anyway, Princess came back into the living room with the pacifier in her mouth, grabbed my hand and insistently tried to pull me up off the couch (not an easy task as The Hubby will tell you.) The minute I stood up, she took off running down the hallway to her room motioning for me to follow. When we arrived in her room, she stood beside her crib, held her tiny arms above her head, and used the universal baby language (grunting insistently) to tell me she wanted up in her crib. If she had been able to climb into her crib herself, I believe she would've done so and, I would've found her there asleep when I went to find out why she was being so quiet.

Unsolicited Advice:
When Princess was a newborn, she would fall asleep easily in my arms only to wake up the moment her body touched the crib mattress. To lull her back to sleep without picking her back up, I would lay my hand on her chest so she could feel the warmth and then slowly pull it away after she was asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bluegrass!
    I saw your post on parenting.com and I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL about wanting to work at home. I am a mom of a 2 year old boy. I work full time (hopefully not for long) at a job that is 30 minutes away. It kills me that I have to leave home, not to mention be on the road an hour every day.

    A few months ago I stumbled into a work at home business that is really perfect for moms. It is with a very reputable wellness company that features all-natural and chemical free products. It is different from the other "independent reps" businesses in that there is NO taking orders/handling money, no keeping inventory, and no home sales parties. There is no large investment and is 100% risk free. It has been a blessing in my life and I look forward to the day in the vey near future when I quit my "other" job.

    I think that one of the best things about the business is that there is a network of other at home moms that helped me get it going. I'd love to tell you more about this opportunity.

    You can visit my website at www.workathomeunited.com/larap or email me at parkin807@embarqmail.com.

    Lara

    (I could not find any other way to get this info to you... LOVE this blog by the way!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I read and appreciate every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...