WE'VE MOVED!! You can now find us at Sunshine and Spoons!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Courageous and the Resolution

I don't know if you've seen the movie "Courageous", but if you haven't, you're missing out.  Big time.  The film is mostly about the effect a father can have on his children, but the message can be applied to almost anyone.


If you have seen "Courageous" then you know that the fathers in the movie sign a resolution together to resolve to be better fathers and husbands.  The writers of the screenplay have written a devotional book for men called "The Resolution for Men".  As it turns out though, there's also a devotional for women called "The Resolution for Women"  Because we, as women, have some stuff we could work on too.

Our church just started two different Bible Studies for the men and the women using the two resolution books.  My husband and I signed up and have already been blessed.  This past Sunday, we studied the first resolution on the list of 13 for women.

"I do solemnly resolve to embrace my current season of life and will maximize my time in it.  I will resist the urge to hurry through or circumvent any portion of my journey, but will live with a spirit of contentment."

Isn't this something a lot of us women struggle with, especially when we're raising our families?  We're so focused on reaching the the next milestone, surviving until bedtime, hurrying to get to activities, so busy just taking care of basic needs (especially when our children are young) that we don't notice how fast the time is going.  We're not content with our current season in life and are so constantly rushing to get to the next that we don't take the time to enjoy and be present for where we are.

And speaking of contentment, how many women do you know who are truly and genuinely content with their lives?  Most of us are unhappy with something, whether it be the house we live in, the number of children we have, our financial state, our posessions, etc. 

Think about it.  Are you taking the time to enjoy your life, your husband, and your children?  Are you content with what you have?

Me, I rushed through my life when I was a teenager and young adult.  I was in such a hurry to grow up, find a husband, and start having babies, that I didn't enjoy my current state.  After I had my first child, I realized how fast time goes and how much I was missing by rushing to the next season in my life.  Working outside the home and having to put my daughter in daycare really drove that home for me and, now that I'm a stay-at-home/work-at-home mom, I make sure I take time each day to fully enjoy my children at this stage.  Sure, somedays are really hard and I find myself looking forward to bedtime.  Somedays, I get so busy taking care of my kids that I forget to sit down to read a story or give extra hugs.  But, overall, I'm very happy with my situation and am committed to enjoying it to the fullest.

Being content is a different story.  I struggle daily with this.  Our tiny two bedroom house feels like it's getting smaller by the day and I'm not sure how we're going to fit the new baby in here.  You'd think I would know by now that God is obviously trying to teach me how to be content and appreciate what He has given us.

For instance, I was very bitter about working when my daughter was young especially since it was a job I hated.  Not long after I'd given my anger over to God and learned to be content, I was basically handed a babysitting job that enabled me to stay with Princess.

Another example...I had always envisioned myself with a large family  and when Hubby said we were done after two children, I found myself struggling with that as well.  Not more than a few months after I'd come around enough to actually thank God for the two we have and stop being angry that I wasn't going to have more, I found out I was expecting baby #3.

You would think I'd be smart enough to be content with what I have been blessed with (our house may be too small, but it's a really beautiful house with a huge wraparound porch that I adore and a landlady who's become like another grandma to my kids), but I'm still working on it.  I just haven't gotten to the point where I can thank God for the house we have, especially with the new addition on the way.  But I know I need to trust that He will take care of us even if that means we'll be using what little space we have left for the baby.  This first resolution really hit home for me (no pun intended) and it's something that I am actively working on.

How about you?  Does this strike a chord with you too?  Are you ready to tackle the Resolution with me and become a better wife, mother, woman, and follower of Christ?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I read and appreciate every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...