Such as this bright pink skirt:
Princess saw it hanging out in the back of my closet one day while "helping" me put laundry away and fell in love with it. So naturally, I threw it in my upcycle pile and forgot about it until today.
My first step was to measure Princess from just below her armpits to a few inches below the knees. I roughly measured that length, plus a few inches for seam allowances, up from the bottom of the skirt and cut off the top. I also measured around her chest. Her measurement was 22", so I subtracted one inch to make sure the dress fit snugly around her chest and didn't fall down.
Next, I made a casing for the elastic by folding the top edge over about 1/4" and then over again about 1". I pinned and sewed the casing, leaving a 2" opening to put the elastic through.
Then, I threaded the elastic through the casing, using a safety pin. I sewed the opening shut and adjusted the fabric so it fell evenly all the way around.
|If I'd left it like this, Princess would've had a new skirt!|
|This shows the straps pinned to the outside of the dress, but I did switch them around to the inside before sewing.|
I folded the raw edges of the straps under and sewed a vertical line down each strap through the elastic. This made the straps more durable plus will hold the elastic in place so it doesn't slide around and get twisted in the wash.
Done! Fastest dress ever, probably because I didn't have to hem it, and the materials were already in my closet! If you don't have a broomstick or maxi skirt to upcycle, you can usually find them at thrift stores for a cheap price.
Perfect for twirling! The best thing about this dress is that Princess will be able to wear it for quite a few years. When it gets too short for her to wear as a dress, I can snip the straps off and she'll have a new skirt!
This post is linked up with "The Dress Project: Summer Challenge" at Bits and Pieces From My Life.
Thanks so much for visiting Supermommy!...Or Not. Please take a moment to "like" me on facebook"!